Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week 1 with Makenna


Don't worry, we aren't about ready to take on weekly updates about our new baby girl, but this has been such a big week for us that I'd like to reflect and share a few stories.

Makenna has extended her graceful entrance into the world by being a very peaceful baby. If anything, it feels like she sleeps almost too much and we cherish the moments where we can gaze into her eyes. She is nursing well, and already back up to her birth weight today.

Kieran is a very proud and loving big brother. He gives her kisses constantly, which she mostly sleeps through for now. He wants to be right in the action when we change her diaper, and when she cries he consoles her by saying "It's alright Sweets," as he learned from his Daddy. During her first bath Makenna let out one of her first real wails, and Kieran instinctively burst into tears. After crying for a moment her started saying "I close my eyes," which is what he says when he doesn't want to cry when getting a shampoo.

As alluded to, Kevin's nickname for Makenna is "Sweets" or "Sweetie," and he is a very doting father. One of the best things about having a home birth experience was being able to have Kevin by my side during our first night with Makenna. I can certainly see a different level of confidence and newborn savvy compared to Kieran's first days, and it's really wonderful to be parents together.

My mother was here fo
r Makenna's birth, and stayed around for the week to visit and help take care of Kieran. They went to OMSI and swim class, and she helped with meals, ran errands, and took care of Makenna early in the morning so that we could get a little extra sleep. She also brought loads of handmade blankets, and is naturally ecstatic to have a new granddaughter.

I am also very much in love with my new little girl, and am enjoying mothering a newborn again...I just love the sweet smell of newborns! She is a true joy, and I am enjoying our first moments. It is exciting to think about who she will grow up to become and all the experiences our family will have together.

With our new baby, I am also
reminded of all the love and support we have in lives as my family, friends and colleagues have lavished us with gifts and congratulations. Our mantle is full of cards, and I have a lot of thank you notes to start writing!

Last but not least, yesterday was another big day for our family as we celebrated Kieran's 3rd Birthday :-) We had some of our closest friends, all w
ith children now, over for a casual family potluck. Kieran had a great time playing with his friends and blowing out his birthday candles. It was quite the capstone to a very memorable week in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Darcy! I'm so happy for you, Kevin and Kieran. Thanks for taking the time to share with all your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That story about Kieran crying while Makenna was in the bath about made ME cry! How sweet!!

    ReplyDelete